Sunday, February 7, 2010

Chocolate Chip - O, Yelp!

Birthday's, Valentine's Day, Anniversaries - any celebration includes that special visit to a favorite restaurant. But, what if you want to try something new? What will ensure that the restaurant meets whatever needs you have? Well, the answer for me is always Yelp. When you read the reviews, you feel as if your friend is telling you their opinion of the restaurant. Is it romantic? Does it have good food? Is it family friendly? Yelp answers all these questions.

In an article written by Randall Stross, he talks about the way Yelp works, and how it is overtaking Zagat as the best source for reviews. In my personal experience, I not only use Yelp more, but I trust it more than Zagat. Instead of trusting ratings by so-called experts, I choose to trust Yelpers.

Similar to Yelp, TripAdvisor is another online review community that helps out with travel plans, hotels, and airfare. As sites like this continue to debut and provide free services, the need for pay services will continue to dwindle. Zagat, travel agents and many others might find themselves out of customers and out of a job.

3 comments:

  1. Not only do you get to see how many stars the restaurant got, the review tell you exactly what was good or bad about it. I'm a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never used Yelp, but it seems pretty cool that regular people can review restaurants. I know I don't have the same taste buds as some fancy food critic, but I do have similar likes to the regular people who want a nice atmosphere and something simple for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never really used Yelp, but I did a search on the consignment store that I work at. And they did not get a good review, and the review wasn't really factual at all. So not sure how I feel about Yelp, although I would totally use it for restaurants.

    ReplyDelete