Sunday, February 14, 2010

Bacon - GPS Phones: Not Just Helping Man In His Continued Quest to Not Ask For Directions


You remember that movie Minority Report with Tom Cruise? How this futuristic society would scan a person's eye to know their location, medical history, and strangely enough their shopping habits. Well, something similar could be on the way. At the end of Marc Cieslak's BBC Article about GPS capabilities in mobile phones, he mentions how companies are hard at work in an attempt to send advertisements to mobile phones based on location.

Are you in downtown DC on a cold chilly day, well you might just see a text message letting you know that their is a Starbucks around the corner serving up a nice, warm hot chocolate. Or a new sandwich joint just opened up that's got great soup - or at least that's what the GPS based advertisement just told you.

While this isn't as creepy as scanning your retna for your pants size or favorite beer, GPS advertising certainly sends chills up my spine. Let me know what you think in the comments section below.

And also, for those of you questioning my weekly Waffle Flavor, check this out. Bonus points for whoever brings these into class.

3 comments:

  1. Getting a text advertisement every time I walk pass a store would be beyond annoy. I already get at least 100 emails, texts, and BBMs sent to my phone everyday; I can't handle anymore messages.

    Bacon waffles sound awesome. I'll definitely work on those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I currently get random texts from businesses, and they annoy me beyond belief. If I were to get them on a more daily basis I would throw my phone down the street...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get random texts from businesses because I block my number, but it would be a pain if I got messages from each business as I passed by their store. Why would a person want to give out the information of where the are at every moment to everyone in their phone book?? It just makes it easier for a creepy guy to stalk a hot girl. That is totally not ok!

    ReplyDelete